Monday, March 5, 2012

Meatless Monday Meal: Black Bean and Butternut Squash Soup

Welcome back from what I hope was a splendid weekend.  I got to sleep in a bit and in general, just enjoy spending time with hubby and the puppy.    

After a bit of indulgence over the weekend, I like to eat healthy and/or lite on Monday.

I found this recipe which combines two of my favorite soup ingredients, black beans and butternut squash.  The recipe is totally vegetarian and the seasoning gives the soup a Mexican flavor.  

My version
I decided to start by sauteing 2 strips of bacon for an extra layer of flavor.  I added some cayenne, a chopped jalapeno and some chipotle chili pepper for extra flavor.  I only had chicken broth so I used that rather than the vegetable broth called for in the original recipe.  My last variation was to use a "blender stick" to make a smoother soup rather than whole beans and chunks of squash.  

Regardless of the version you prefer, this is a hearty soup full of flavor and excellent nutrition. Give it a try.

Original version:  serves 8
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
8 cups vegetable broth
4 cups butternut squash, cubed
3 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
sour cream and sliced green onion for garnish if desired

1. Preheat a dutch oven, or large saucepan over medium high heat and add olive oil. Add onion and cook for 5 – 8 minutes until very soft. Add broth as needed to keep from burning.
2. Add remaining ingredients, except sour cream and green onion. Simmer for 30 -40 minutes until soup reduces to a creamy texture.
3. Serve with sour cream and green onion.

My version:  serves 4
As above but omit olive oil and saute 2 strips bacon, chopped.  
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cups broth, vegetable or chicken or beef
2 cups butternut squash, cubed
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon chili powder (and 2 teaspoons chipotle chili powder if desired)
1 tablespoon cumin
1 jalapeno chili chopped

Follow steps in original version but first saute bacon until crispy.  Remove bacon and drain all but 1 tablespoon of fat from pan.  Proceed with recipe as in original recipe above.  
Prior to serving, using a blender stick (or food processor or blender) roughly blend the soup for a thicker, creamier soup base.   
I served the soup with cornbread and a salad the included avocado, cilantro and colorful bell peppers.





1 comment:

  1. For some reason I adore black beans. Funny because I never ate them growing up or even heard of them. Your soup looks fantastic.

    Like your idea of eating healthy and light after the weekend. We try to do the same.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love to hear from readers of Spiral Style

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin