Monday, May 7, 2012

Monday Musings

How was your weekend?  
Although it was rather cool, I did do a few spring-like things.  Hubby and I went to a Farmers Market on Saturday.  There were lots of flowers, vegetable and herbs for planting but I'm holding back for another week or two.  I need to get my deck power washed and sealed before I bring out the furniture and planters.  I did prepare the soil for planting my vegetable garden.  I'll plant seeds on Tuesday after the downpour that is predicted for Monday.

It is rhubarb season and I had to have some.

I used a portion of the rhubarb for Buttermilk Rhubarb Bread.  I made this tea bread last week and hubby requested more.  That is quite an endorsement from someone who doesn't love rhubarb.  This is a one bowl, mix it with a spoon recipe.  Chopped rhubarb is mixed into the bread batter and the tart, raw fruit becomes juicy and sweet with the brown sugar and cinnamon in the batter.  




Buttermilk Rhubarb Bread
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup oil
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cup flour
1 cup diced rhubarb
1/3 cup chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans)
Mix all ingredients in a bowl and transfer to a prepared loaf pan.

Topping
2 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon butter
Mix these ingredients together with your fingers and use to top the batter.
Place loaf pan in a preheated 325 degree F oven for about 55 minutes or until tester comes out clean.
Remove from oven and allow to cool before removing from pan.

Enjoy!

If you really love rhubarb, here is the most simple recipe...just two ingredients, rhubarb and sugar.  Watch the video for the technique of making this delicious compote. 









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. I love to hear from readers of Spiral Style

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin