Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Summer reading

Cover of "Sarah's Key"Cover of Sarah's Key

A true summer pleasure is a great read. My friend Beth suggested I read Sarah's Key by Tatiana De Rosnay. I picked it up for my trip to the beach later this week and can't wait to get started.

Monday morning I registered for the summer reading program at our public library. The library was filled with kids and parents signing up for the program. Great to see. Our library was just named the busiest library in Michigan.

I had gotten out of the habit of visiting the library. It just seemed easier to pick up books from the bookstore. I love to read a book and then save it on my shelf, keeping it as if it were a friend to visit again and again. I rarely read a book twice however but a wall of books makes a great design element.

Since I moved to Canton, I find myself going to the library several times a week. The fact that the parking is abundant and free is definitely a draw. Borrowing from the library is certainly a good way to save money and be green at the same time. There is a Second Hand Prose shop for purchasing donated, previously owned books. OK, so I do buy books, but at a fraction of the cost!

Check out Summer Books 2009 from NPR for all sorts of ideas.



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun trip! I'm going to bake the cookies today and get the book for summer reading...did you enjoy it?
    Love,
    Kare

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you wrote about the wall of books being a design element. I agree! I have to tell hubby that you're with me on this one.. :) He just doesn't see it that way. Thank you for the book tip too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love to hear from readers of Spiral Style

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin