Thursday, March 18, 2010

6 Classic Dishes: Meat Lasagna

Continuing the series of
Today I look at Meat Lasagna.

When I think of lasagna, I think pot-luck and covered dish.  While any dish with pasta is a comfort food, lasagna just doesn't seem that interesting.  My guess is that it is the layering that appeals to people as being special.  Not everyone eats meat.  I'd bet that macaroni and cheese would be the winner in a contest between lasagna and mac'n cheese.  I wouldn't dream of offering a recipe for mac'n cheese since every cook probably has their own version but here is the recipe for Meat Lasagna that was offered in the original blog post.
Last night I made one of my favorite pasta comfort foods, Spaghetti alla Carbonara.  This is a simple food, combining bacon, eggs, and cheese to make a silky, rich sauce for pasta.  The origin of this recipe is vague and interesting and you can read about it here.  While the ingredients are humble, the technique is a bit tricky.  If you don't pay attention you'll have scrambled eggs and bacon with pasta instead of the glossy sauce from the eggs and cheese. This is the recipe I use.
On a cold, snowy Sunday night, this is the comfort food I love best.  Rigatoni with Cheese and Italian Sausage.  The ingredients are combined in one pot and then divided among individual serving bowls, topped with cheese and then popped under the broiler to melt and lightly brown the cheese, a sort of de-constructed lasagna.  Easy and comfortingly delicious.  This is a great dish for non-cooks.  View the recipe here.
Which is your favorite, Lasagna or Macaroni and Cheese?
Please leave a comment and tell me, Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. I love to hear from readers of Spiral Style

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin