Thursday, April 22, 2010

Mushroom Pasta Dish to Celebrate Earth Day


I can't think of a more appropriate dish for Earth Day than one containing mushrooms.  I decided to make a mushroom pasta dish and couldn't find a recipe for just what I had in mind  so I created my own.  The result was quite tasty and easy so I'm sharing it with my dear readers.  Happy Earth Day.

I began by sauteing 2 leeks, sliced and cleaned, in 1 tablespoon of olive oil.  Cook the leeks until very soft, about 12 minutes.






2 leeks, sliced and cleaned
1 tablespoon olive oil
8 oz roughly chopped mushrooms (I used a mix of shiitake, oyster and portabella)
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons fresh thyme             
1/4 cup dry sherry
4 oz fresh spinach
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup shredded fresh parmesan cheese
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
8 oz farfalle pasta


Cook farfalle pasta according to directions.
Meanwhile, in a large saute pan, saute the leeks in the olive oil over medium heat.  Season with salt and pepper.  Cook until soft, about 12 minutes.  Add butter and mushrooms and thyme and saute until soft, brown, and liquid has been evaporated.  Season with salt and generous amount of pepper.  Add sherry to the pan and cook until most of liquid has been evaporated.  Add spinach to pan and cook over medium heat until the spinach is wilted. Add cream and parmesan cheese to pan and bring to a boil and cook until sauce is slightly thickened, just a minute or two.  Taste to adjust seasoning.  Mushrooms take an amazing amount of fresh pepper for seasoning.  Add drained pasta to the saute pan with the mushroom mixture and stir to mix.  Serve and top with additional cheese if desired. 





1 comment:

Thanks for your comments. I love to hear from readers of Spiral Style

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin