Chipotle chiles in adobo are an excellent way to "heat" up food. They deliver a hot and smokey flavor.
|Chipotle chiles are smoked jalapenos.|
|This is a chipotle in adobo sauce. Sauce is on the right.|
Chipotle chiles in adobo are purchased as a canned food. You won't use an entire can in a recipe, they are too strong a flavor. Usually a recipe will call for amounts measured by teaspoon or tablespoons. The remaining chiles can be stored in the refrigerator for a long time. An easy way to use the chiles is to puree the whole can and store to be used by the teaspoon.
How to use Chiles in Adobo
- add to barbecue sauce to spice it up
- stir a few teaspoons into mayonnaise or sour cream to use as a dipping sauce
- mix into yolks for deviled eggs
- use in marinades
- how about chipotle meatballs?
- make a compound butter and slather on corn on the cob
- incorporate into scrambled eggs
- enliven a soup or stew with the taste of chipotle chiles
- how about mixing a bit with coleslaw dressing
The ingredients for a compound butter, including rosemary, cilantro, oregano and crushed coriander seeds as well as a chopped chipotle chile.
The compound butter was spread under the skin of a chicken and the chicken was then roasted.
Chipotle Roasted Chicken based on recipe from Epicurious.
Make the compound butter.
Roasting chicken, approx. 5 - 6 lbs. Wash and pat dry
Slide fingers under chicken skin to separate from the meat being careful not to tear the skin.
Spread 1/2 of the butter under the skin on top of breast and legs.
Salt and pepper cavity of chicken. Place sprigs of oregano, cilantro and rosemary in the cavity.
Peel 1-2 large onions and cut into wedges. Distribute onion wedges in roasting pan and place chicken on top of onions.
Roast chicken for 2 hours at 425 degrees, basing often.
* After 1 hour, add peeled potatoes, cut into 2 inch size pieces, to the roasting pan. Toss the potatoes in the accumulated juices and roast the chicken and vegetables for the remaining 1 hour.
Remove chicken to cutting board and carve. Serve potatoes and onions with chicken and juices.
This is a very flavorful meal. Serve with a refreshing vegetable salad.
Hubby grilled this salmon outside in 7 degree temps!
The marinade was maple syrup and chipotle chiles in adobo. (served with roasted cauliflower and broccolini)
A spicy entree calls for a refreshing salad.
Spinach, grapefruit, avocado, pistachios, and pomegranate.
Make it a spicy weekend.
I'll be in Minneapolis this weekend. No snow forecasted.
See you on Monday.