Monday, February 7, 2011

Monday Musings: On Azaleas, Valentines, and Meatless Monday

Lots of snow outside so I brought some spring inside.  
Azalea in an ice bucket and another in an urn. 


Valentine's Day is only a week away.  Hubby and I don't do a big gift exchange, usually just a card.  I wouldn't begin to list gift ideas but I think a perfect "couple gift" would be luxurious sheets.
Frette sheets would be my choice.  These luxury linens are truly heirloom quality.  Sliding between these sheets is a real sensual treat.  Frette has been around since 1860.  Now you can buy this quality bedding through Garnet Hill.

On a totally different topic, I've embraced the idea of Meatless Monday.

Meatless meals one day a week is not a new idea.  It actually began during World War I to aid the war effort.  Today it is for health reasons (to help prevent cancer, cardiovascular disease, obesity, and diabetes) and also to reduce the carbon footprint and save water and fossil fuels.

I feel you can set your own guidelines for "meatless".  I will use eggs, cheese and maybe even chicken broth.  I will probably not use fish.  Some weeks Monday may fall on Wednesday.  I like Mark Bittman's idea of being a "lessmeatarian" and will try to adopt sustainable eating habits.  

I think Meatless Monday may encourage me to find new recipes and try new food.  Tomorrow I'm making...

Wow, lots of random stuff for a Monday.  
Do you "celebrate" Valentine's Day?
How do you feel about Meatless Monday?





1 comment:

  1. The hubs and I don't really celebrate Valentine's day. We'll probably either have a nice dinner at home or get some take out. I hate going to restaurants around Valentine's Day, way too crowded.

    We eat meatless at least once a week. Not really on purpose, it just sort of happens. I can't ever commit to it always being on 'Monday', especially on days like today where I made a giant pot of soup last night (a bit of a garbage/everything but the kitchen sink soup) with chicken that we'll be eating for the next two days!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love to hear from readers of Spiral Style

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin