Thursday, July 28, 2011

DIY: Plasti Dip Projects

I first became aware of Plasti Dip from a House Beautiful article featuring Hardware Store Design Products. Plasti Dip is a synthetic rubber product that can be sprayed, brushed or used as a dip.  
This product can be used as a protective and decorative coating for all sorts of household item.  I tried using it in a decorative way for some simple projects.

I purchased the Create Your Own Color Kit.  I received a 22 oz can of clear Plasti Dip along with the vials of tint in the primary colors as well as black and white.

After watching a tutorial, I mixed a batch of turquoise Plasti Dip in a Mason jar using a chop stick for a mixer.
I brushed the mixture onto the bottom of a basket.  I wanted to coat the basket fiber to make it impervious to water and to prevent the basket from scratching furniture.  I applied two coats, waiting 1/2 hour between coats and allowing the Plasti Dip to fully dry for four hours.  

Next, I mixed a batch of yellow Plasti Dip and brushed it onto the bottom of a straw bag to waterproof the bottom and make it extra durable.
With the leftover colored mixtures, I decided to dip a key to color code it for easy recognition.  I also brushed it onto terra cotta pots to prevent the pots from scratching surfaces and to help prevent moisture from seeping through the bottom of the pots.  

I found Plasti Dip to be an easy product to work with.  Drips easily peeled off my hands.  I can think of other uses for Plasti Dip such as a protective coating for the bottom of  canvas "boat totes" and "mending" worn areas on my garden gloves.  Let your imagination run wild or click here for more ideas.







5 comments:

  1. What a cute idea! thanks for sharing ;)

    http://lavienmode.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your dips! What a great project and so sweet of you to share :)

    ♥ Cat brideblu

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is sooo cool. It looks like something even I could do.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool! The baskets look amazing. Where can we find this product?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,
      I went online and ordered the product as my local hardware and craft stores did not carry the Create your own color kits.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I love to hear from readers of Spiral Style

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin