Thursday, April 11, 2013

Crafty Hand Painted Glassware


I saw this crafty, DIY idea on The Chew.  I don't know where I've been but I just discovered this show hosted by Mario Batali, Michael Symon, Clinton Kelly, Carla Hall, and Daphne Oz.  While the show is mostly about food, there is a crafty segment on occasion.  OK, I digress...

from Clinton's Craft Corner on The Chew
About a month ago, the craft segment was hand painted glassware.  Now don't click off yet, this is very easy and fun.  
All you need are:
 some drinking glasses
Q tips
 acrylic paint
I spread out newspaper and found some little containers for mixing my paint.  You could easily use a paper plate as your paint mixing palette.  I bought paint to match some dishes I already owned.  You can use multiple colors or make an ombre effect by adding with white to your base color and making the dots lighter as you work your way up the glass.
Once you have your paint ready, just dip a Q tip into the paint and dab it straight onto the glass.  Press and release.  
View from the inside of the glass.
When the paint is dry, place the glasses upside down on a baking sheet and place in a cold oven.  Turn on the oven to 350 degrees F and bake for 30 minutes to set the paint.  Turn off the oven and allow to cool in the oven for 1 hour before handling.  Hand wash your glasses rather than using the dishwasher.  
I'm really happy with the way these turned out.  I bought these cheap dishes and glasses at Ikea for use on my deck.  These glasses are fun and really pull the look together.  

Click here to see the video and read the instructions on how to paint the strip and chevron patterns.  








2 comments:

  1. Such a cool project
    so much fun to do
    and with very cute glasses after.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE THIS!!!! i do something similar on my nails. i call them "cupcake sprinkles." thanks for your comments and support on my blog. mwah!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love to hear from readers of Spiral Style

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin