Thursday, September 24, 2009

Must Have Baking Cookbook

When I get a new cookbook, I am pleased if I find one or two great recipes from the book. Baking, From my home to yours, by Dorie Greenspan, exceeds this expectation by leaps and bounds. It is now the first place I look for a baking recipe.

Today I found Dorie's engaging blog filled with fun stories and recipes. Dorie knew Julia Child and was invited to France for a preview of the movie, Julie & Julia. She talks about the trip to Paris and of course, good food.
photo by me

I had some plums and turned to Baking for a recipe. Here is the result, Dimply Plum Cake!

1 1/2 cups flour 2 large eggs
2 teaspoons baking powder 1/3 cup flavorless oil (canola)
1/4 teaspoon salt grated zest of 1 orange
scant 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamon (optional)
5 tablespoons unsalted, room temp butter 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup (packed) light brown sugar 8 purple or red plums (halved and pitted)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter an 8 inch square baking pan and dust with flour, tapping out excess.
Whisk the flour, baking powder, salt and cardamom, if using, together.
Using a mixer, beat the butter at med. speed until soft and creamy, about 3 minutes. Add the sugar and beat for another 2 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, beating for a minute after each addition. On medium speed, beat in the oil, zest and vanilla. The batter will look very light and smooth, almost satiny. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the dry ingredients, mixing only until they are incorporated.
Run a spatula around the bowl and under the batter, just to make sure there are no dry spots, then scrape the batter into the pan and smooth the top. Arrange the plums cut side up in the batter.
Bake for about 40 minutes, or until the top is honey brown and puffed around the plums and a thin knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
Transfer the pan to a rack to cool for 15 minutes.



2 comments:

  1. Hubby is all over this one this morning! Guess what we'll be snacking on shortly? I love when you post the recipes, they're always something that fires up our taste buds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure if I cook because I like to eat or eat because I love to cook. No matter which, I need to spend a lot of time at the gym and show great discipline around food!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love to hear from readers of Spiral Style

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin