Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Renoir on the Delaware


This past July I spent some time in New Jersey visiting family. One Sunday evening we had a relaxing dinner in Lambertville, NJ along the Delaware river and then took a stroll across the bridge to New Hope, PA. Walking back on the bridge, I took a photo of an outdoor dining venue.

photo by me and enhanced to look "old"

This scene reminded me of a Renoir painting, Luncheon of the Boating Party. While not nearly as romantic or idyllic as the Renoir rendering, the riverbank setting seemed of another era.


This is a photo of the Renoir's, Luncheon of the Boating Party, painted 1800-1801. The backdrop of the luncheon was along the Seine.
This painting is a centerpiece of The Philips Collection in Washington, DC. You can read more about the painting and The Phillips Collection by clicking here.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, your picture is really something! I LOVE the tones and colors you used to make it look old. It really gives me a vintage/historic feeling, and you know how I love that :)

    And Luncheon of the Boating Party is beautiful! I've never seen it before, so thank you for introducing it to me. I could look at it all day (and probably will). And your link to the Phillips Collection is much appreciated too - very, very interesting to me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love to hear from readers of Spiral Style

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin