Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Flavor of the Week: Capers

Capers are a pantry item that pack a powerful, pungent, punch to otherwise bland food.  They are the immature buds of a bush native to the Mediterranean.  Harvested by hand, they are sun dried and then packed in a brine or coarse salt.  Size ranges from the small, nonpareil size to the larger, tip-of-your-finger size.  Recipes usually call for capers to be rinsed before using to remove excess salt.  These little buds add a sour, piquant flavor to salads, dressings, fish and chicken or other main dishes.  Capers are the key ingredient in a good tartar saucelemon, caper, butter sauce for fish or chicken...
...chicken piccata.
recipe here
I just made this Roasted Cauliflower with Olive Oil and Capers and it was fantastic.  It would make and excellent side dish for Thanksgiving.  Capers were a delicious counterbalance to the earthy cauliflower.  
Capers are a usual accompaniment with bagels and lox.
View a past Spiral Style post with a recipe for pasta with tuna including capers here. 

Reach for a jar of capers to add flavor to otherwise ho-hum ingredients. 



3 comments:

  1. Love capers, often make the French yogurt cake -- huge hit and so easy for someone like me who is not extremely clever in the cuisine -- and best of all I discovered, you too are a Taurus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just loooooove capers with salmon... it's perfect!!!!!! :9 yummy!
    Kisses from Brazil <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why did I have to check out your page just before I go to bed?! Now I'm starving!! :)

    Now following. Next time I read your posts I'll wait until just before dinner. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love to hear from readers of Spiral Style

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin