Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Pie Worth a Double Workout


I was craving chocolate pie over the weekend and now I am paying for it.  I did back to back classes at the gym today to compensate for my indulgence.  It was so worth it and I'm about to have another piece.  
This is one of my favorite pies, chocolate with a bit of espresso powder which intensify the chocolate flavor.
It isn't a really beautiful pie but the texture is gooey, rich and dark chocolate.  
You'll know the pie is finished baking when the surface begins to get cracks around the edges.
Top with whipped cream if you wish.  A 10 inch pie serves 10.  This is a very simple dessert to make.  Make your own pie crust or purchase a pre-made, unbaked crust.
Recipe:
1 10 inch, unbaked pie shell
8 tablespoons butter
2 oz unsweetened chocolate
1 oz semisweet chocolate
1 tablespoon instant coffee or espresso
2 tablespoons sour cream
3 eggs
1 1/3 cup sugar
3 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla

If making your own pie shell, roll dough and fit into 10" pie pan and then refrigerate.
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F
Melt butter and 2 chocolates and let cool (melt in microwave or on top of the stove)
Dissolve coffee in sour cream and beat with eggs, sugar, corn syrup and vanilla until well blended.  Stir in chocolate and butter mixture.  Pour into prepared pie shell. Bake until filling puffs and forms a crisp, deeply crackled crust, 35 - 45 minutes.  Cool to room temperature. 



1 comment:

  1. Great looking pie Deborah. I'm not much of a sweets lover, but I never turn down chocolate. I like the espresso in it too.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love to hear from readers of Spiral Style

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin